Well, you have a blog and you love sharing with your readers but the fact of the matter is that you have bills associated with running your blog. You keep getting emails from people saying if you just do this or that you will make tons of money with your blog.
I am not going to do that to you. I am going to simply tell you what I have done that makes some money. Not a windfall and not any get rich quick scheme but just things that have brought actual income to me. I am not listing all of the things I have signed up for that have not produced any income. This post does contain affiliate links but every single item on this list definitely does bring me income.
Here are the things that have ACTUALLY earned some money for me.
- The most income I have earned has come from The Blogger Network Propel program. Note that I did have to pay $99 to join and I never would have except someone assured me I would make the money back quickly. I made the money back in 2 months and I am now making more than that per month. The thing is that you have to give them access to your blog. I was really nervous about that but again listened to someone who was advising me and I don't regret it. They also have some blogging courses you can take as part of your program with them. If you happen to sign up be sure to tell them Theresa Smith sent you because although they don't have an affiliate program, I do believe there is some kind of benefit for referring someone.
- Normally IZEA comes in second but not every month. It is a site where sponsors can find you so you can do blog posts or mostly tweets for them. You do have to check the site everyday because they don't have a great system in place to email you about all activity but it is worth it. Some months you might make 1/2 of your income from them and the next month only $10 so while it is a great resource you cannot absolutely count on the money.
- The third in line for earnings comes from Shareasale. This is affiliate income from various merchants. I am signed up for many merchants but these are my favorite so far.Gazelle, Schoola, FunBites, Servously, Aloha, Cricut, and Gymboree. Some do better with affiliate marketing than others. You have to consistently work the stuff into your posts to get anywhere with it. Some of them also will pay you a flat amount if other bloggers sign up with your link.
- Fourth in line, but it will move up to second I am sure pretty soon, is Sovrn. They are an ad network and you get paid for the ads people see. So obviously your goal is to write great content and have a lot of page views. I did not have to pay anything to sign up with them and I believe it is still that way.
- My next way to make money blogging would be with Infolinks. They have many ways to incorporate ads on your site but I use the intext. You can make money more quickly if you add more methods but be careful not to drive your readers away.
- Of course I make money blogging from reviews and giveaways on my blog. (mostly reviews even though the giveaways provide excellent short term advertising) This varies and mostly comes from my own efforts from pitching to companies. Be sure you pitch to all of those emails that you receive asking you to review their product. You can also use Tomoson but you will have to do a lot of free work first before you start getting any regular income from them. (around 200 reviews) You will get some here and there before then but nothing consistent.
- It is suggested that every person who has a blog should have a product to sell. I resisted this but have recently self-published a book and it does bring in about $50 a month so that helps out. The idea would be to do about 20 of them but who has the time. The Freedom Self Publishing program helped me with publishing my first book. I learned a lot.
- Of course I use Google Adsense but I do not rely on it much as it usually takes about four months to get a check. But then again it is something and every little bit helps.
I have way too many expenses with my blog and I urge you to keep your expenses down. Yes, I do believe that it is necessary to spend money to earn money but you have to use come common sense and proceed slowly. I have taken courses that have recommended tons of stuff that costs money. I have even signed up for those things but I usually regret it. A few of the things I have listed do cost to get started but I have not listed anything that I did not make my money back right away (within 2 months).
I can recommend everything in this post with a clear conscious. I can't tell you that you will definitely make x amount of dollars every month with them because much depends on how much traffic your blog gets and how much work you put into it.
I can say that I have a LOT of expenses associated with my blog including a virtual assistant who is great! Now most blogs will not need a VA until probably around 75K page views or more but I have some health issues that make one necessary. If you keep your expenses down and do the work yourself you should be able to make a modest income with these methods.
I would love to tell you that you are going to make $3,000 a month but I promised no hype. To give you an idea with these methods a blog with about 35-40K page views should make around $600 – $900 a month. If you can make more, that is great!
Do you have a blog and have something else that works? Tell us about it below. Feel free to put affiliate links but please only post the tried and true methods that you personally have had success doing. If you have never received a paycheck from it then please don't list it. Bloggers that are just trying to make it want just the facts!
I know there are other ways to make money out there but my focus is on the blogger that doesn't have 100,000 page views yet.